Saturday, January 24, 2009

My reading obsession

Ok, so I can hear my mother now..."Put that book down and do your chores." That was just last week actually. She always is on my case about how much I read...I admit I can finish two novels in a day if the kids would let me. (and those aren't little novellas either - talking full fledged 300 page novels) So today, I was good. In the morning, I paid bills, cleared out the family email box (1200 messages) and even did a bit of cleaning. So when I sat down after lunch to read an entire novel, I thought nothing of it. I did my chores.

The family gives me a hard time because I insist the reading is research...Now I admit that I love my novels and I read to relax, but seriously, it has become a form of research...Once you become a serious writer, no book is ever the same. I notice descriptions and how they are created, if they create a realistic image in my mind. I look at sentence structure and plot progression...Reading is not what it used to be for me. It is not bad though, I find it much richer now. I do have a confession - please don't hold it against me - I sometimes pick up novels by no name authors that I am sure will not be the best written just so I can say - "Mine is way better than this...If they can be published, so can I." I then read one of my favorite authors - my inspirations and think "Someday, I will be like this."

So I have read two novels today by one of my favs and I am now off to read one of the others...if Karen (won't use a last name) can do it, so can I.

Have a great night.

No comments:

Post a Comment