Friday, January 23, 2009

Stalkers

Ok, so I was on one of my facebook groups this morning and one of the other writers was talking about her "stalkers". Let me start by assuring you that every writer has stalkers, whether they will admit it or not. My first one was Pru. Sound familar? Yes my main character of my first book...To a writer, a character is much more than you realize...They are a friend, coworker and muse. Any writer can tell you this, if you can get them to admit it. (I have no problem, but then I am a little unique I am told :P) So let me explain about Pru...She started out in my dreams...and let me tell you she was a real pain then, because I tried to ignore her. There is nothing worse that ignoring a character - especially one like Pru. When she finally got me to write her down, it got worse. Then she haunted it me stores, at work, during meals and most of all in the shower...They all seem to like the shower.

I have come to value their opinions, even if I don't follow them all the time (and that pisses them off!) We argue a lot, but you see Pru and I are very similar. Some of her is me, some of her is part I wish I was and some of her is just her. She's short and fiesty (sound familar to some of you) But she is also lonely until she meets the man...Now on that note, her man is drop dead gorgeous. It took me a long time to explain to Michael that part of her has nothing to do with me...Don't get me wrong, Derrick is hot, but he knows it and can be a real pain in the ***, if you know what I mean.

Now, even though Pru's story is done, she still has a change of heart sometimes and I am forced to go back and fix something...Of course even after she gets published she will not go away...she has become my dear friend who is not afraid to tell me when Ella is right or tell Ella to shut up...I worry that Ella is taking after Pru. She was just harassing me in the shower...must be Pru's day off.

So call me crazy if you want, but I don't always write the whole story, those girls do a lot of it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment